Nigeria’s minister of police affairs, Muhammad Dingyadi says the gunmen who attacked the correctional centre in Kuje council area of the federal capital territory (FCT), came with better weapons.
The prison was attacked on Tuesday night and a great number of inmates — including “all Boko Haram suspects” — escaped.
Whilst speaking with newsmen on Friday after a meeting with President Muhammadu Buhari, the minister stated that the gunmen came in numbers that no one expected.
Dingyadi, speaking further, said those on duty at the correctional facility tried their best but were overpowered, noting that some of the assailants were killed.
“I want to assure you that all those who were supposed to play a role in ensuring that the attack was neutralised did the best that they could to neutralise it,” he said.
“I think what helped them was the number of people they came with and the superior weapons that they came with. And because nobody anticipated it, the few people who were there guarding the place could not withstand the number that they came with. I think that was what happened.
“Mr. President was deeply concerned about these developments, and he initiated this meeting to enable security agencies, the service chiefs, inspector-general of police, to brief the council on what actually happened and the way forward.
“We had a very successful meeting and the council has agreed to take proactive measures that will ensure that repeat of what happened these few days would not be witnessed anymore.”
Dingyadi added that the president is surprised that what happened in Kuje actually occurred “in spite of all the security arrangements that have been made to ensure that such an incident does not happen”.
The president had earlier expressed his disappointment with the intelligence of the facility over the attack.
However, the police affairs minister, while reassuring Nigerians, disclosed that the service chiefs have been given clear directives to see that adequate measures are taken, not only to investigate what happened, but also to take steps to prevent the recurrence of such occurrences.
“We call on Nigerians to continue to support the federal government in its effort to ensure that we fight criminalities to the finish, and to ensure that this country is brought back to normalcy in a more secure and a more peaceful atmosphere,” he added.